Sunday 28 August 2016

13. 8 weeks post -op first drive woohoo and crutches transition

It has been 8 weeks since i have driven on the main road, apart from a couple of bus pickups that are just at the end of our street, i haven't sat in the drivers seat. In some ways it makes you realise you need to remain humble and be grateful for the help you receive, even if the toilet paper that is bought is the wrong one.
So I'm a little over 8 weeks post op now and today my husband was ready to take the kids to school, he had his list for the groceries that were needed and they loaded in. Today i had it in my head i wanted to be able to drive!. At the last surgeons appointment he said i could drive when i felt confident enough, well unless i try i will never know. I didnt want to drive with the kids for my first trip so we did school drop off first.
I wandered through the grocery shop which consequently i havent missed this job, its a shame our little town doesnt yet do online groceries and delivery. I guess i knew but you really do get used to buying the products you like and when you don't normally shop with your spouse having to debate/discuss about which product is better value for money or has more product in it, makes the task even more lengthy and light hearted as by the end I found my grocery savy attitude return and what went in the trolley was my choice. The bill at the end however was double what his bill has been since he has taken over the grocery run, oh well, I guess while i have been off on sick leave it has been important to save where we can and groceries clearly has been one area that has been played down.
Following my second physio appointment my crutches use can be a single crutch at home and when out use them like 'walking' crutches so instead of crutches moving together they move separately and kind of mimic normal arm movement of walking. This does make you look like some kind of weirdo and i have had a couple of comments about how i am using the cructhes incorrectly...everyone is an expert!
So groceries done with my spider walking (that's what my 8yo calls it), slowly, but as I look around you realise how difficult it must be for the older population as you see them using the trolley to lean on and guide them and holding aisle ends to keep them upright. Hopefully for me this is a short term mobility issue, i feel for those who now face what my short term issue is as their long term issue.
My husband hands over the car keys, jokingly with a shaky hand. It does seem weird that i am using crutches and yet i am about to take control of a vehicle.
Off to a good start only one person honked their horn as i left the carpark, i was trying to be courteous apparently the person behind was in a hurry. Unperturbed i continue through a few round a abouts and get to the outskirts of town unscathed. The downward accelerator pedal movement seems ok, the movement from the accelerator to the brake and back isn't as smooth, i can feel quite a tightness in the knee, not terrible but i can definately notice it.
I forgot you have to concentrate when you drive haha! as a passenger for the last 8 weeks i have enjoyed the scenery...eyes on the road. We made it home and i officially feel like i can drive for at least short periods which i am super stoked about.

As the physio gave the go ahead for one crutch at home, i feel like i am transitioning off the crutches. I am not in a huge hurry to get off them but it is interesting the comments you do get ' ohh you're still on crutches' 'you would think you'd be off crutches by now'. I have tried to explain that it is about being stable and quad loss and i'm getting better but quite frankly i dont think if half these people had what i had done to themselves they would be rushing to rid themselves of cructhes. Even if I am off cructhes what does that gain? if i come off to soon, fall, reinjure all so i can say im off them. The physio is working with me to build up my strength and confidence and i can tell you that using one cructh at home, i actually felt i could use none in areas where i could hold something i.e the lounge,  wall or chair, you seem to just know as i tried this 3 weeks ago and it was a big fail. Everyone is different with their recoveries and my transition off crutches may be slow but i think that when i finally ditch them i will be ready!

A day out yesterday to the BMX park i decided to try using one crutch outside. I had the support of my husband if i needed him and there wasn't a big crowd. I did OK, my biggest concern is being bumped or knocked as i dont feel like i have the agility or stability to reposition myself quickly enough without the fear of falling. I see the physio again in a few days and see where i go from here.

Liss xx

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment